Sunday, July 3, 2011

Introducing Masha to Lake Life


     Masha got her first real lake experience this weekend.   We were a little concerned going into it because internet is nonexistent at the lake (i.e. No Translator) and it was Fourth of July weekend which can get a little crazy at times. We actually gave her the option before taking off to stay at home to rest or going to lake since it was a 2 hour drive.  She answered immediately LAKE with a huge smile on her face as she pointed at our Sea Doo.  So off we head to the lake.  Friday after noon on the lake was only about 3 hours, but was a good introduction of what it would be like before it got over crowded the next day.  She of coarse picked the Sea Doo to ride on from the very beginning. After a short ride we stopped and parked in the Family Cove for swimming.  I was impressed how quickly she jumped in to the water to start swimming since she can not swim.  The girls swam and played for several hours before we loaded up to go eat on the water.  This is the one bout of motion sickness we have had.  The sea doo really go to her on the ride over to the marina. She did not actually vomit, but it was hard to get her back on the sea doo after that.  She road on the boat after that.    I did convince her to drive it with me, which I am not sure she really enjoyed or not.

     The next day was a full on, all out lake day.   We got on the lake at 1100 that morning mostly to beat the traffic at the boat ramp.  Any real boaters out there know how awful the boat ramp can be on holiday weekends.  It was already 100+ outside by 11 so we instantly went to swim, which is all my girls want to do any way.  The girls played hard all day in the water only getting out for food, drink, and my required sun screen regimen. Masha has become almost motherly with Keira, while Carley and Masha play pretty rough in the water.  The favorite game of the day was sneak up on dad with full water blasters and squirt straight in my ear.  I am lucky to leave the lake with my ear drum intact.  Liz and I both figured after 5 hours on the water Masha would be ready to head in, but every time we asked it was very confident Nyet.  We finally pulled the plug when my own girls started to get a little whinny, which was after about 7 hours of swimming.



     Off the lake in the evening may have been my favorite time of the Lake weekend.  My Carley is a hula hoop master or so we thought until Masha gave it a try.  She proceeded to put on a Smothers Brothers type show with the hoop.  Between the two of them we were quite entertained.  Masha also got her first experience driving, which lets just say I am very happy it was a golf cart.  We had a few near misses with some drainage ditches and a couple of fences. She did however get the hang of it pretty quickly and we drove for hours all over what we call Paradise Hill. She also learned the way to the Malt Shop on the Golf Cart.  The one food group we have found that she likes is Ice Cream.  Yes, in the Atchley house Ice Cream is a food group.   Masha and Liz also got some really great bonding time at the lake, by day 2 Masha was just following suit with my girls calling her Mommie.  Not Mama or Mom.  Mommie.  Liz has not said much about it, but knowing my wife she was close to having a tears in her eyes.



    The brief time we have had with Masha has been very much a blessing.  She has really bonded with all my girls in the house, which is most important to me. Seeing her love on Carley and Keira is priceless in my eyes.   Masha and Liz appear to be developing some real trust with each other.   So far Masha's manors have been impeccable without anything to worry about.  She is very meek, quiet, and humble acting so far.  I can not see that changing much in the near future.   Keira appears to be the best at getting her to come out of shell so far, as I catch them playing goofy games with each other all the time.   Those of you that know my Keira know that she has a gift like my mother Carla for making people feel instantly loved and welcomed.  Carley and Masha's interactions are different. Much older acting.  They seem to respect each other very much, and appear to be finding the best way to communicate.  Even though Carley is only 7 Masha treats her more as an equal.  I think Carley appreciates it.  

    For Me,  I am the dad and a Male.  I figured working my way in would be much more difficult and it has been.  I very much want to scoop her up and tell I will make everything better like I would with Carley and Keira, but it is not possible.  I have at least got her to do somethings with me, but she is definitely more comfortable with Lizzy.   Right now I just plan to be the normal everyday dad I am with my girls. Hopefully by seeing our interactions she will slowly become more comfortable with me as well.






4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun. Glad you are having such a wonderful experience with Masha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, your little Kiera has a special approach with people. She's hard not to like!! But Carly too. They are both sweethearts. So glad to hear all is going well. Your approach to reaching out to Masha sounds pretty good. Let her come to you, like you say and she will! A girl needs a father figure. She's lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carley are Keira are the sweetest. Who wouldn't instantly love them?! I'm glad the girls are bonding like sisters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A day at the lake sounds like a lot of fun, and your whole family is a hard group not to love! When we came to stay with you for a quick weekend trip to visit our grandma I felt like I was at my moms house you all were so welcoming and easy to be around. So glad our families reconnected after all these years! Masha is a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete