Monday, July 11, 2011

A Tough Day For Masha

    The day started pretty rough for Masha today, it started at the dentist office.  It was a rather painful experience for her with some not so great news.  Our dentist felt that it was definitely the only time she had ever seen the dentist.   The tartar build up and gum disease was so bad she will have to go back 2 more times before she leaves to just finish the cleaning.  She is also using a special peroxide/antibiotic mouth wash to help with her gum disease, which was the cause of some very easy bleeding.  Not only was the dentist chair a torture chamber for her even with a local anesthetic we found out more poor news for her.  She has 3 cavities and one tooth that is in need of a Root Canal.   So over all it looks like we have a few more trips to the dentists in the next three weeks.  My girls held her hand the entire time.  Liz said she saw a few tears roll down her cheeks before it was all over.  Not such a good start to her day.  
     The day did improve though.  Since, I was on call for Liz and I's anniversary we called a photographer to do pictures of everyone in the family including Masha, and made reservations at one of the nicer restaurants close to us.  Pictures went well with it taking some goofy antics from dad to get good smiles from Masha, but she loosened and started to go with the flow.  Right after pictures to dinner we went all dressed up as much as you want to be in 100 degree heat.  We did attempt to get Masha to wear a dress and got a big Nyet.  I asked her what she liked to wear most,  her response was shorts or sweat pants.  So jeans and a nice shirt were an accomplishment.  While at dinner we all were making small talk. Liz asked Masha if she had any idea what she wanted to be when she grew up.   I was surprised with her response when she said Nurse.   I knew our cousin Lori's translator read nurse when actually she wanted to be a doctor so I clarified it.  She wants to be a Nurse(Medestra)!   This actually made me pretty excited so I asked her if she would like to go on a tour of the hospital.  She gave a fairly enthusiastic yes.   I walked her through every area introducing her to every type of nurse(Medestra).  She is like every other girl thinking about being a nurse. She loves the babies.   I took her into our small NICU and she got to hold a 3.5lb baby girl.  The smile on her face could not have been bigger.
     Not much else has really gone on in the last couple of days.  I can tell the girl bonding in the house is getting pretty tight.  I know when August 1st comes around there are going to be some big alligator tears at least out of my girls. I'm sure even some out of me at this point.  I will miss so much already when she has to go back.  I will never look at riding a bike, a hotdog, and Mac&Cheese the same way. If we get her back permanently someday I will have a bike waiting for her as we walk out of the airport.  I also will never pronounce my youngest daughters name correct again after Masha leaves, because the way she says it is so cute.  I know for sure this little girl has a chance to be something, I just hope we get the opportunity to help her become that something.  If she really wants to be a nurse someday she could not be in a better home to help her get there.   I personally am not a person that believes that things are meant to be for a reason due to the fact it completely undermines free will, but this sure seems like someone is giving us a little nudge in a certain direction.



Just a little side note. I was through typing this and went up to give everyone their good nights, and Masha was on the Ipad working on spelling small words in English on her own.  Now I am quite impressed.

4 comments:

  1. Aww, Chris, this made me smile so much! Give her a big hug for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She definitely is in the right family:)! That was great that you brought her to the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only hope she follows through with her dream regardless of what happens in the future. She's a pretty girl and sweet from what I hear. Would love to see her succeed. It's a l

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an amazing journey, I love reading your updates about it! You guys are an amazing family!

    ReplyDelete