Thursday, June 30, 2011

"Fathers be Good to Your Daughters, Daughters will Love like You Do"

     Today is a day I did not think would come for a couple of weeks, but thanks to some amazing Oklahoma Hospitality, a lot of water, and one amazing little Ukraine girl it was about as good as it gets.  My day started not so smooth with a trip bathing suit shopping for Masha and running out of gas about 1/8 mile from the station, but it was all down hill from there.  First we met with our girls Russian tennis coach Marina.  I was a little nervous about it due to the fact she is always so stern as a coach.   She quickly eased my mind by taking a very relaxed non verbal attitude. It was like sitting next to someone born in Oklahoma speaking Russian to Masha.   She helped us get through a good myriad of questions that I believe helped ease all of our minds.  It was also the first time we really got to hear Masha's real voice, which was only the beginning today. Next on the list was a trip to a neighbors pool.  That was when the day really took off.  After a hour at the pool with kids ranging from 1 year to 12 years of age she was all smiles and giggles.  We attempted a small swimming lesson, which was to frequently interrupted by all the other kids.  Masha, Keira, and I spent most the time playing basketball in the pool.  I thought she may just be playing because I kept throwing the ball to her, but when I got out she continued to play on her own.  Towards the end of the pool time we broke out the water guns, which started endless amounts of laughing.    I was unsure how she would take being squirted in the face, but was put straight as I took several direct hits in the ear hole.  I could see the disappointment when we had to leave.  My personal favorite moment at the pool is my little Keira swims up to her gives her a big huge and says, "Ya Tebya Lyoo Blyoo." (I Love You for Non Hosting People that Read this) Masha returned it with a big smile, a near tear, and a huge hug.  After that moment she has treated Keira like a true big sister, helping with food, adjusting bathing suits, and protecting her at the neighborhood party on the water slide.
     I really did not think we could top the first part of the day with the amount of laughter, chatter, and smiles we got, but some how we did. I wish I could say I was part of it, but I have to give credit to an amazing community of neighbors.  After swimming we had about a hour down time. That hour gave just enough time for our 11 year old neighbor, Kylie the sweet, to come over and spark a friend ship with Masha.  All of sudden she was just another one of the girls in the neighborhood.  It felt really good watching her chat via google translate with the other teen  girls. The neighborhood party that I was extremely nervous could not have been more perfect.  I'm willing to bet she will be sore tomorrow after the number of times she went up and down the massive water slide that was rented for the party.  The party also lead to some first for her. Probably the biggest first was eating a hot dog. Everyone brought an All American dish, and she on her own accord tried a lot.  In fact she tried enough that I am hoping we do not have an upset stomach in the middle of the night.   We are no longer worried about eating. She ate 3 good meals today, and after the party maybe enough calories for the rest of the week. 
      Not a single concern today other than how can I get her back here for Christmas.   With her sweet demeanor I can see her being a permanent fixture in the Atchley house.  I really hope she feels the same way. I have felt this good about something 3 times in my life. The first was the night Liz said yes to my proposal and the other two were the birth of my daughters.  If this is the only day I get like this out of this 5 weeks it was all worth it to see Masha get to have that much fun.  I can not wait for this weekend though.  We showed her a picture of the SeaDoo and her eyes lit up like a Christmas Tree.  I think today was just a beautiful start to something that will grow into something so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment