Saturday, July 9, 2011

Another Few Days of Firsts

     We have had another busy couple of days with Masha being part of our family.  Everyday we see a little more of who Masha is, and we see her becoming more comfortable with us.  We had several more first time experiences for Mash the last few days.  Thursday we set up a tennis lesson with our girls tennis coach.  I was expecting very little, because anyone that has played tennis or baseball know that the hardest thing to do in all sports is hit a little small moving ball.  Masha however was all over it.  Of coarse Marina was laying everything right there, but I have seen several kids that have been to several lesson miss more than half the balls. Masha maybe had 10 behind after an entire grocery basket of balls was hit to her.  I have started to see a competitive side come out of her too as everything she does she wants to do well.  She even attempts to race me on the bicycle.  She did not smile hardly at all during the entire lesson. It was all concentration and business.  I was worried she did not have fun, but when she came out she immediately asked if she would be allowed to go again.  I had only one answer for that, Yes.



     Next we were on to another first.   We were discussing in the car what each of the girls favorite animal was.  All three decided they all loved horses the most.   Being that I work out in a rural area most of the people I work with are serious rodeo people and own horses.   Masha was very excited at first to know that we were going to ride horses, but once we got there she was very intimidated by them.   It really took some motherly coaxing from Liz to get her up on the horse.  She road one time, but was very content to stand and pet them the rest of the time.   My girls on the other hand road for about an hour and were in heaven in 108 degree heat.   My Carley swears she is going to be veterinarian when she grows up so she can care for horses.  Still a good experience just not quite what I think Masha had in mind.  While we were there though Masha got to pet a goat and some blue heeler pups, which may have been the biggest hit. If Liz was not so anti dog I would have brought one of the pups home.  I already have a name "SoBaka." None of the girls wanted to leave I think all three of them would be happy to live on a farm. That will never happen though cause dad is a clueless city boy.








     Now for the sappy  Dad part.  Masha and I have had some really nice bonding time, but she has not really used a name for me or been very open to a hug good night.  She trusts me with all things dads are suppose to do; swimming lessons, bike riding lessons, driving sea doos, or driving the golf cart.  This has been about it.  Two nights ago though she started to call me dad on her own accord.  It felt good to finally have some sort of name from her.   I understand her reluctance, but it was a big deal for me probably more so than her. (Early on I told her she could call me Chris or if easier just Dad, I was against papa as that is what we use for the girls grandpa Dennis)  She also in the same night looked for me to give me a huge hug good night.  She actually said, "Good Night Dad," in English.  It was the first time she actually embraced me.  Before that it was me giving a hug and her standing there.  I returned the hug with a kiss on the forehead and a thank you.  Another melting moment for me was last night.  I had a pretty long day of call and did not get home till after 9.  Liz told me Masha came to her several times to ask when dad was coming home.  As soon as I walked in the door she asked if I was ready to go for a bike ride.  I rarely tell my girls no when it comes to spending time with me, so off I went with Masha on the bike at 930 in the evening.  It has been a very heart warming week for all of us.
     I think now we are at the point that we are just waiting to know if it is possible to adopt Masha.  We are pretty much ready to proceed forward, but need to know this bit of information first.   It has been only a little over a week, but both Liz and I both feel we have a grasp of who and what Masha is about.  We know there is a lot more to learn about her and even more walls to break down, but if anyone can do it Liz my incredible wife can. 
    Have to go for now as I am in the process of making some "Morozhenee" ice cream, and the maker just cut off. 
  

2 comments:

  1. She looks so cute in that tennis outfit! I see she is starting to smile for pictures now. I had to work on Anya with that, when I would get her attention for a picture, she would look, but did not have the instant smile for the picture like my two kids have mastered.
    I heard some good news from Rachael yesterday that Ukraine is not shutting down adoptions for 3 months as originally planned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that myself. We just have find out if Masha is available.

    ReplyDelete