Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence Day a Good Day to let Freedom Ring

     There seems to be so much to write everyday, but with my head spinning most the time with all the excitement it is hard to put down anything in nice coherent sentences.  We started the day off with the mission to finish all the shopping we had left to do for Masha on the list.   Shoes, socks, unmentionables, and a little more everyday clothing.  I asked her if she was tired of all the shopping, and like all girls answered with a big no.   She fits in fine with our family though as even when we have no idea what we are looking at we always pick the most expensive.  She definitely has the art for that down.   I know some have said they want specific brands, but these are brands I am sure she has no idea about.   I give her very good marks for good taste though.  We accomplished most of what we set out to get today, and can fill in the rest with our weekly Target shopping trips.
     Liz and Masha spent the second part of the day upstairs making up games to play with English and Russian. There must have been some good bonding time going on because when they came down Masha was feeling way more comfortable using the translator and has been all over it the rest of the evening.  She even asked to go to the store to get some more Shell Mac & Cheese to eat for dinner which is by far the most assertive she has been when asking for anything.  Liz and I did get a kick out of her saying that we eat way to much.  I figured by the size of my waist line she is probably correct.
     The last part of the day I thought we would try another first for Masha, learning to ride a bike.   I keep thinking she will be hesitant when I ask her to do something new, but she jumps up with a huge smile and is ready to go.  It really only took about 1 mile of running next to her until she had it down pretty good.   The smile on her face was priceless, and she continued to practice on her own for about an hour.    We all came in the house for what I thought/hoped for the evening.  I proceeded to take a shower then came to sit down and relax.  As soon as I got to my comfy place she grabs the translator and says she is ready to ride with a smile on her face no dad could refuse.  My thinking was she had done so well we would all go on a family bike ride.  Everything was going pretty well until about mile 2-3 of the bike ride when Keira and Masha wrecked with Keira getting the worst of it.  This is the first time I have seen Masha really upset.   She would only walk the bike home and had teary eyes.   I was worried when we got home that she was hurt, but once we got to the translator she was just very upset she may have hurt Keira.   It was tough getting her calmed down from that.  It took a combined effort from Liz, Keira, and I to convince her everyone was alright and no feelings were hurt.   It was heart warming to see such compassion with her only being here a few days.



     There is so much more to write. I could go on and on about the smallest things, but I am far from a creative enough writer to keep people interested.  I do want to say I am astounded everyday by this little girl that has traveled across the world to a foreign place and is doing her best to fit in.  Her smile, voice, and laugh could melt even the coldest heart.  I have completely gone for praying for us to provide a good experience for her to just praying for her only.  Hopefully she will find a home and the security that every little girl should have.
Pic of 3 Sweaty Little Girls Watching Fireworks
in the Ridiculous Oklahoma Heat

2 comments:

  1. It's so neat to hear about your hosting experience through a father's eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! Chris, you are such a great dad!

    ReplyDelete