Wednesday, July 6, 2011

One Week In and Loving It

     I was not going to blog today, but we continue to have great days with Masha.  Just when I think we will hit a plateau she really takes it up notch.  Liz really is not having super formal English lessons, but more incorporates English lessons in during important parts of the day.  This strategy appears to be working very good for Masha.   I have heard more English in my short day home with her than her entire time here combined including the English lesson time.  It is quite encouraging to see her really trying to work things out herself.  I will give it to Liz she is a master of positive reinforcement.  Masha also plays with both my girls non stop. So far I have not seen one annoying look, action. or sneer in the girls direction.  In fact Keira has been in heaven, because Masha likes to be out side just as much as her.   I have not seen the bikes in our garage get this much use in the entire time we have owned them.   Masha learned just two days ago and is now all over our small neighborhood.  Carley our oldest is much more reserved,  she sometimes gets left out if someone does not go out of their way to get her involved.   I actually saw Masha notice that today and make sure to include Carley in what was going on.  This may be one of the most impressive personality traits I have seen to date.   I could really tell that Carley needed it as Keira really is a Masha hog.  Masha is also starting to smile all day.  Liz and I love it.  She has such a beautiful smile it really does brighten the house up.  I was worried by her description and our first two days with her that we would have a recluse that just stayed up in her bedroom.   All those worries have completely been put to rest as she is always in what ever room the family is in.   She is really making her spot in our home.
     The one thing we do not get from Masha is what she is feeling inside about us as a family or her experience.  I am sure every person out there hosting would love to know this same thing.  Well we found out some of what is going on inside her head today.   Liz and I thought she may really be missing home as she talks about her Grandmother and Brother quite a bit.  She has even told us a couple of times she misses home, which we both find completely understandable.  We have also discussed that we both felt that she would not be interested in becoming part of our family just from her discussions about her family in Ukraine.   Today we found out in an indirect way that she is loving her time here with us, and leaving for her is going to be very difficult.  Also, that she will miss us as soon as she has to leave.  We could have found out much more, but we felt that it would have been an invasion of her privacy.      Hopefully some day she will share those feelings with us directly.  

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you're having such a wonderful time with Masha. She sounds like an absolute sweetheart. I hope I'll get to meet her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't figure out why she WOULDNT adore you guys. Those little girls would be enough to suck ME in. Sounds like she likes to stay busy and I know you guys are always going, going, going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that, no matter what happens for the future meaning for this visit or forever, you seem to have picked the perfect fit for your family! We are equally happy with how Sergiy fits into our family so seamlessly. He too has some family ties in Ukraine, so it's very hard for me not being able to talk to him about the future and to know what he is thinking, but for now we are just taking it day by day and loving our time with him. it's kind of hard though not to feel like it must somehow be divinely meant to be...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, are you and Liz referring to you indirect way by reading her journal book? Anya has been writing in her journal too, and I am dying to know what it says. Isn't it odd how we all seemed to pick the perfect kid for our family. Rach and I were saying last night if we see any of those "week 2 warning behaviors" NHFC cautioned us about in either of our kids, we would be shocked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori she writes in her journal then throws the pages in the trash. We could not resist getting some of it translated to make sure she was happy. We did jot ask for detail, but I'm sure we could have learned much more. I guess we got what we needed.

    Rach, Your thoughts really mirror how Liz and I feel. We are taking everyday at a time, but it's killing us to not even know if it is possible. All I keep telling myself if it's not we truly receive a gift from God this summer. All I know if everything works out in the future we need to have some type of family reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that line from Rachael - "it's kind of hard though not to feel like it must somehow be divinely meant to be..." =)

    ReplyDelete