Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The First Full Day

     We had our first full day with Masha.  Half of it was spent traveling in a car, but we made the most out of it we could.  First hiccup we have had was our inability to guess sizes of clothes before she got here.  Even though we purchased all XS and 00 she was too small.  So while the girls were at gymnastics tonight we took a shopping trip to the mall.  I think her first mall experience was a positive as Liz is an excellent/pro shopper.  We ended up with 2 pairs of shorts, one pair of jeans, and just a couple of shirts.   She's definitely a teenager as she likes to pick it out herself.  I at least give it to her, because she definitely has taste.  I feel a little bad as most the day was still traveling around in the car.  She did retreat up to the room we have for her for the few moments we were home.  I was some what concerned about that until I saw that she drew a heart with our smallest daughter's name in the middle written in perfect English.
     Liz did ask her today if she was home sick and she responded with "da."   I am hoping after the end of a week or two with us that will fade some.   I've been trying to put myself in her shoes all day, and consider how she must be feeling.   Foreign place, with foreign food, with foreign language, and a family that is moving 100 miles per hour until bed time.   I am sure it is very intimidating.  I know I would not thrive in that situation.
     I am not really going to post any first day concerns, because I figure it is just an adjustment period.  She was very quiet and we got very little English out of her today.   I am worried that we do not seem to be able to find anything that she will eat though. She has eaten one pancake and a coke since she has been with us.  Liz went to grocery store tonight to hopefully prepare something she will like tomorrow.  I think Liz talked to our translator, our tennis coach, and Rach on the phone to get some ideas.
     Tomorrow we are going to let everyone sleep in as long as possible. After that we are going to spend most the day at home probably preparing to go to the lake.  There will probably be a lot of baking going on in the house. Hopefully Masha will enjoy that with the girls.  Our neighborhood is also throwing a welcome to the U.S.A. party tomorrow for her.  We had our translator explain that to her, and she appeared to be very excited about the idea of a party.
     Again please be thinking about us in your prayers.  We are really hoping that through our family we can show her what it is to be loved and wanted.  I know 15 years is a long time to not be loved or wanted by a family, but hopefully we have enough in our house to make up for some of it.  

3 comments:

  1. I had a hard time getting Anya to eat too. Ate nothing yesterday, not even water. No breakfast today and then I took her to McDonalds and she finally ate. Tonight I made spaggheti and she ate a lot of food finally.
    And zero English!! But she said she wanted to learn ( according to google translate).
    Hope your party goes well, love hearing about your experience!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could be that Masha knows more English that she's letting on. Through google translate, Vladik said he didn't know any, but when we sat down yesterday to work on a few words, he read/spoke them fairly well. He has no confidence in his ability/knowledge however, so he won't voluntarily use it. So far, Vladik as eaten everything I've put in front of him- and usually indicated he wants a 2nd helping. I did put a small basket of snacks up in his room... raisins, peanut butter crackers, almonds, graonla bars, etc. Maybe that would help Masha?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would suggest taking her grocery shopping too, to see what she might have an appetite for.
    I imagine the adjustment would be hard for anyone! Plus all that traveling (after never having been outside Ukraine before) can be pretty draining. Sounds like it will be good to be home for the day, baking together could be fun! :)
    Thinking of you all and saying a prayer!

    ReplyDelete