Monday, June 20, 2011

And We're Off

     Summer for most families is a time to kick back, relax, and vacation. Not so in the Atchley house. The energizer bunny, my wife Elizabeth, has us off and running at a sprinters pace that Usain Bolt would be impressed by. Quick update to the start of the summer; my off weekends are spent at papa's lake house,  Keira makes Level 4 gymnastics team while Carley moves up to Level 5, girls start swimming lessons, Carley makes swim team and wins her very first free style race entered, Liz runs girls all over town like a chicken with her head cut off making the most out of the summer for the girls. Oh, for me it is mostly tons of work and triathlon training when ever I can fit it in.
     That is only the beginning of our summer.  We are now preparing for our biggest adventure, hosting 15 year old Masha from the Ukraine. It has been quite comical in the house to see the preparation that goes on for just bringing a girl here for 5 weeks.  For Lizzy you would think she is about to have another baby.  She is in complete nesting mode.  She has been on every teen clothing, furniture, and bedding website known to man.  I keep having to remind her initially this is only a 5 week hosting program.  If I did not, I think the walls would be painted, new Garnet Hill bedding set, furniture, and art to match. She has also memorized an insane amount of the Russian Language that will probably really help get us through the first few days.  I have not seen her in this mode and level of excitement since we had the girls.   Carley and Keira are just as excited.  I do not think there is person they do not tell within the first few minutes of a conversation.  Their conversations usually lead to more lengthy conversations with adults about what is actually going on in our house. Our neighborhood has even gotten in on the excitement.  At first we were just suppose to have a welcome to the U.S.A. party with the people in our little culda sac, but the party has now turned into a neighborhood wide event.  It has gotten so big Liz has asked for our Russian Tennis coach to come by and explain what is going on so Masha does not get terrified of all the crazy Okies.  The next week leading up to going to get her looks to be very filled with activity.
     My thoughts continue to swing in all directions on our decision to host.  I go between positive, nervous, excited, pessimistic, and hopeful.  Some days I am living in the day like I should, and have a very positive outlook.  Especially if have gotten to spend some quality time with my two little girls.  They seem to always improve my mood in a positive way when we speak about Masha.  Plus, they tell me daily that I am the best dad ever.  I actually get excited when I talk about to family, people at work, or personal friends.  Not all share the same view as Liz and I do about it, but I enjoy sharing our adventure.  My nervous and pessimistic days mostly come when I think about things in the future.  I worry that I will not give her the experience that she needs, that she has to go back to a place were she is not wanted by anyone,  that the experience will not be positive for either side, and mostly if we do fall for this little girl how are we going to get her back here so that she can have a real chance in life.   I feel the situation is hopeful after spending quality time with Liz, or spending quiet meditation time in prayer by myself or with Carley and Keira before bedtime. Needless to say this summer is going to be a learning experience in the Atchley house.  More updates to come after we pick Masha up next week.

     
  

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for you guys and this adventure! My feelings about it for us are all over the place too - from excited to nervous to just wondering about the future and what will happen. Trying to just take it day by day and enjoy the experience. And nesting like crazy trying to prepare!!

    ReplyDelete