Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Sorry if Anyone is Offended

     There is a saying frequently said to Liz and I to bring comfort that actually bothers me quite a bit.  This is not meant to offend anyone, and if you disagree I will not think less of anyone. In fact there is a small amount of scripture that might actually support an opposing view or even entire denominations that follow Calvinistic teachings. The saying, that can be put many different ways is, "It is all in God's plan."  Spin as many ways as you want, but that is the just of it.  As we have progressed through the trials and tribulations with Masha we have heard this at least a hundred times now.  Every time I hear this I absolutely cringe inside, but attempt to keep a calm exterior because I know someone is just really attempting to be thoughtful.  It bothers me to think of God, that sent his only Son to die for our sins, is playing us like puppets or chess pieces.    So if it is true that we have a predestined path to follow, then God creates all the; hurt, suffering, disease, starvation, murder, etc. that we experience, and we have no responsibility for our own actions.  In fact why even attend church if He has already predestined who is and who is not going to heaven.  I know I am taking this a little to the extreme to make a point, but why would God purposefully put any child in an orphanage or give them a glimpse of the family they could have then take it away? To continue that though why would He take the most amazing mom from a son and leave a gaping whole in family that needed her?  I will not pretend to think that I know what God is thinking,  I just do not see Him, "the God who so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life," John 3:16 being that kind of God.  I do not see Him like the person that dangles a carrot in front of the donkey just to get him to walk and then takes it away when they arrive at their destination. 
      In fact I believe quite the opposite.  Every disease, hurt, murder, abortion, or what ever you can come up with was in fact caused by man's decisions.  I think even atheist will agree that man's inherent nature is sinful depending on how you define sin.   Every road block, hiccup, or heart ache we have received through this process is not a God thing, it is a glowing example of man's corrupt selfish nature.   Now do I think God answers prayers, Yes. Do I think miracles happen, Yes.  Do I believe he left us here to rot and kill each other, No.   However, without freewill to make our own choices evil, good, or indifferent it takes away the reason God created man, which was to have fellowship with Him.  I am not sure about you, but I have never had much fellowship with a puppet. Now I do think God has a plan, but we choose or do not choose to be part of it.  We chose to have fellowship with Him, we chose to follow the teachings of the Bible, and then He decides if our heart really is were we confess it to be and allows us into heaven.  I will leave a few scriptures that I think mostly deal with predestination vs. freewill, but I think they apply to the God has a plan theory.  Feel free to comment or even disagree.

He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God-John 1:10-12 NIV

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all menTitus 2:11.

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Matthew 28:19 NIV


 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.  Hebrews 11:6




Please excuse all the Grammar mistakes as my Editor is at Gymnastics with my Girls.



 


8 comments:

  1. I agree to a great extent. This also relates to a quote that drives me bats: "God will give you more than you can handle. " I don't believe God gives trouble. Not even as a test. Think of Job. God didn't create his trouble. He allowed it to grow Job and to prove a point to Satan and to all mankind.

    But here's bottom line for me: god can and will take any crappy situation and turn it around to bless everyone involved -- and all to His glory. We can throw in the towel, or we can keep asking Him to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Chris! I need to share with you that the validation word for my comment here was "given". Whoa! (I also believe God speaks to us in ways that others see as coincidence. Even hokey-sounding ones.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Every disease, hurt, murder, abortion, or what ever you can come up with was in fact caused by man's decisions". This is EXTREMELY hard to hear. I did NOT CAUSE my sons' disease. Unless you are implying that by us choosing to have children, I caused my sons to be sick. This *was* what God had in store for us. We can't change it, and we wouldn't trade our boys in for the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy not you in particular, but man as a whole. I did not cause my my mom's death directly either. You are not reading it correctly. By the original decision to turn from God in the Garden of Eden we welcomed in all the sin and afflictions we face today. We chose sin and we continue to sin daily. We destroy what got made perfect as a race.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy in several verses of the bible it says God does not create bad situations, but will make good out of the bad. I could continue to quote verses, but I do not think it is God's plan to give us sick or disabled children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is so much in life that doesn't make sense or "line up" with scriptures. Some things are just obviously unjust/unfair. Is it some big picture thing that we will someday (in the afterlife) be like "oh yeah! now I see why you broke all of our hearts and then ground them to dust under your heel!"? "God, I totally get why you got this orphans hopes up and then completely dashed them!!!" I don't know Chris. There aren't any easy answers. Why are orphans in Russia snatched and immediately pimped out by the thousands as they "age out" every single day? I try to take comfort in the fact that He knows all of us and can/will redeem all things.

    You guys have been handed a tough/crappy assignemnt. We really do pray for you guys and hopefully it all makes sense eventually, but maybe it wont ever make sense. Just know that people are on your side, I know it is a small comfort in the midst of a terrible heart break. But we really are pulling for the Atchleys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chris, its your cousin Shannon in NY. I check your blog all the time and thought for sure you would have added something new by now. Were you able to bring Masha home for Christmas? Hoping for an update.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shannon it has been awhile since I've updated due to the lack of any positive news so far. We have gotten past the original onslaught of bad news, and we are trying to figure out were to go now. Masha is coming for Christmas and we are very excited. We have lots to talk about.

    ReplyDelete