Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Ukraine Day 1

     Day 1 pretty uneventful .   The only thing we did was stop by the grocery store, which was not much different than at home other than you have to lock up backpacks before you shop and the swap meet like shops you walk through to get to the groceries.  The people and driving remind me a lot like  New York, lots of pushing in baggage claim, no use of excuse me, and tons of honking in traffic with crossing more lanes than a person should at once.  Liz even stated she needed to put her New York hat back on, and the airport instantly reminded me of her friend Shannon throwing people out her way to get my bags when she picked me up 15 years ago.  After the grocery store we headed back to the apartment  which is very nice inside, the exterior reminds me of something right out of the movies or Rocky V.      I am very boring when it comes to trying new food so we went to TGIFs for some very American cuisine.  When dinner was finished we went for a short walk around the streets of Kiev.  I noticed Liz blended in very well and I stick out pretty noticeably as I got lots of stares at dinner and walking down the street.   Guess I'll attempt to wear a stocking cap and Johnny Cash type attire the rest of the trip.  Back at the apartment we pretty much crashed after a rather brutal day of travel.  We slept for a couple of hours, woke up to talk to the girls via Skype, and then back to bed.
      Wednesday is a pretty big day as we have our meeting with the ministry of magic to get our ok to go see Masha.  After the meeting we plan to get our adventurer hats on and explore the city some since we can not leave to Masha's region until the following day.  More to come as the 2 year quest to bring Masha home continues.

2 comments:

  1. I am praying for you guys!!! I just love your story to your beautiful Masha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully one day she'll read it all.

    ReplyDelete